We have a rich history of successes in the policy arena. Early accomplishments include:
- Creating the Preventive Benefits Profile, a voluntary insurance reform campaign to encourage health insurance plans to cover preventive health services.
- Advocating for dedicated health and wellness funds from North Carolina’s tobacco settlement.
- Working on the successful campaign to increase the cigarette excise tax in 2005.
- At the state and local level, supporting legislative priorities of the North Carolina Alliance for Health, advocating for tobacco and obesity prevention policies. As a founding member of the Alliance, we recognize that evidence–based public policies are essential to prevention and health.
- At the federal level, working to enable Veterans Affairs Medical Centers to be 100 percent tobacco-free campus wide by repealing a federal law requiring them to offer smoking facilities on their campuses.
We are one of two dozen organizations urging the Food and Drug Administration to extend its oversight of tobacco products to include e-cigarettes, candy-flavored cigars, etc. See recommendations: 24 Health Groups Deeming Comments & Appendix final 8-08-14